Thursday, September 30, 2010

Old School Christian

Now homosexuality is not a new phenomenon that has suddenly bloomed with the turn of the century relatively in similar timing with women’s gender role expansion.  No, indeed homosexuality was prevalent for many centuries, dating back to the ancient Japanese Samurai s of the past. In these relationships the master would have sexual relations with his male student as a form of intimacy, bonding, closeness and overall trust between master and student. Whether or not there was consent by both parties it is not fully known, however this practice was widely accepted by the Samurai culture.
As we go back even further and stop to take a look at the societies of the ancient Greeks and the ancient Romans we observe the presence of homosexuality and even the somewhat taboo nature of transsexual persons are explored. Now these homosexual acts may be of persons that are homosexual in heart and feeling acting out love upon one another or these may be a symbol of male dominance by sodomizing other persons, particularly during war. As we all know, this blogger was not in the past to witness these acts in person to decipher the true nature of them. Let me also add this disclaimer and state the obvious that all of the above is my interpretation of text and images that have been seen and read over time, the accuracy of these documents are pending upon the creator of those documents in regards to historical accuracy.
What I believe to be true and in fact is the word of the bible. Now I also understand that, yes some books were taken out of the bible. Yes, possibly the bible has been used to manipulate people by religious figures in the past, maybe even the writers themselves while claiming to be in the spirit of GOD in which HE is the true author, may have even tampered with it. Then there’s the case of even if nothing has been tampered with, everything remained true as GOD assigned it to be, there is still the potential error of the wrong words being used in some places simply because of hundreds of years of translating the Bible from it’s original language to the many languages we have today.
 But, in spirit and in truth I believe the literal context of the Bible as what GOD made it out to be for Christians and everyone. Call me whatever, ignorant, foolish, anything, but old school Christian as I am I take the Bible literally and will still stick to its word.  Now, probably in hate mail mode and ready bite my head off let me illustrate my perspective. No, I’m not trying to call anyone ignorant or berate anyone as a fellow classmate has previously interpreted, I am simply making myself completely understood because there have been several occasions in which someone did not understand exactly what I was trying to say, so please take no offense.
The bible has taught me that homosexuality is wrong, eating pork, shrimp and other unclean things are incorrect, a woman must cover her head as she kneels down to pray, no premarital sex in relation to the marriage context of the past and present, that is basically no sleeping around if you don’t like ‘no-premarital sex’, and all of the other behavioral rules dictated to us. This does not mean that I hate homosexuals or condemn them, that would be the same rubbish of me saying I hate you because your not Christian, which I don’t.
I don’t think anyone will follow the bible rule for rule subconsciously; some of us eat pork, and or shrimp or other unclean things. Because my head is uncovered 75% of the time I pray doesn’t mean I’m a bad Christian, I’m personally just too lazy most of the time. Just because someone is gay doesn’t make them a bad person, in my eyes. Just because you claim to be Christian and have premarital sex doesn’t mean that your at a loss with your spirituality.
It is wrong is trying to condemn someone that doesn’t match up to the idealistic Christian because as far as I know there is not a perfect Christian. What is wrong as well is trying to alter the context of a religion to suit your opposing life style. Because I eat shrimp and crabs doesn’t mean that I must take it upon myself to alter the bible’s teaching in a way to show that eating unclean things is okay according to the gospel. Likewise the homosexual community should not try to manipulate the biblical doctrine and alter it to suit their homosexual lifestyle and basically take that rule out. Homosexuals and heterosexuals are equally wrong when they attempt manipulate the words of the Bible to suit their purposes or say that we cannot take the literal documentation because that was for a historical culture and thereby alter proper biblical teaching.
 I am an old school Christian, young as I am, and I try to seek the peace before adding to the conflict. I really don’t know if someone punched me in my right jaw if I would give them the left one over punching them back and more like the bible says, however I have no intention of manipulating the bible to suit me.  Some things are not for us to decide because according to my belief we will be judged by GOD individually when the time comes. Until then both parties should keep the peace without condemnation, altering and manipulating the word of GOD for whatever reason.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed how you took a different take on this subject. I’m used to seeing one side or the other, and rarely anyone who’s in the middle. It was definitely a good way to explain where you stand, and I completely understand where you are on the subject.

    I agree that people shouldn’t condemn others. It’s not our job to say what’s right and wrong, or who’s going to heaven or not. I agree, as you said, that god is the one who will judge people in the end. That we have no right to sit there and tell people what they are doing is wrong or sinful. I hate how people use the bible to show that what they’re saying is right or what someone else is doing is wrong, because we can’t know for sure. The bible can be taken in so many different ways that it’s hard to just choose one without a second look back. And for one person to tell another that ‘this is what it says’ is horrible. I believe we need to take the bible and read it ourselves to see how we perceive it, rather than try to push our beliefs and interpretations onto others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete